Thank you for considering the very rewarding career of a Self Employed Community Midwife (SECM), either as a lead midwife or in a second midwife-only capacity.

The criteria are the same in both primary and second midwife capacities.

Here is some information that we hope will help you through the process.


  • A love of midwifery
  • Be happy to work both independently and as part of a team
  • Have good support
  • Be flexible
  • Be willing to contribute to midwifery issues
  • Full driving licence or chauffeur
  • A full member of the CMA
  • Public Liability Insurance ( cost based on caseload)
  • Full tank and a charged mobile phone
  • A signed MOU and Agreement with the HSE

MOU/Agreement Requirements

A signed MOU and agreement with the HSE is the means by which we access Professional Indemnity Insurance through the State Claims Agency (SCA/CIS).

Presence at five births in the capacity of a second midwife is necessary prior to commence as a primary SECM.

  • Registered Midwife with NMBI, up to date registration
  • Signed Patient Safety Assurance Certificate (PSAC)
  • Public liability Insurance, accessed throughout the CMA (cost based on caseload numbers).
  • Three years post qualification midwifery experience
  • Up to date Neonatal
  • Resuscitation certification
  • Emergency Skills and Drills training (PROMPT, ALSO, Community Emergencies)
    I.V. cannulation/phlebotomy
  • Suturing Skills preferable
  • Car insurance indemnifying the HSE (just a matter of informing your insurance company)
  • References

Upon Joining The CMA You will

  • Participate in a community passionate about home birth and women-centred care
  • Be engaged and informed of all communications
  • Be informed of quarterly meetings virtually, or held in different venues throughout the country, and our AGM (in Oct) which rotates between Cork, Dublin, and Galway

Where To Start

Contact any of the SECMs on this page for a chat and they will go through the reality and requirements with you.

They will all be able and willing to speak to you any time they can. They will also give you the relevant details of the Designated Midwifery Officer (DMO) within the HSE with responsibility for the service of the HSE.

The HSE has in post-Designated Midwifery Officers for the Home Birth Service who liaise between the HSE, mothers, and midwives and ensure the service is facilitated in line with the MOU/agreement. The details for DMOs can be found in FAQ section of this site

Their contact details can be obtained on our ‘Midwives’ page on this website. It will be their responsibility with yourself to ensure the governance surrounding signing the MOU/agreement is fulfilled.

They will do all they can to support you in the process and realities of working as an SECM.

“You are a birth servant. Do good without show or fuss. If you must take the lead, lead so that the mother is helped, yet still free and in charge. When the baby is born, they will rightly say: ‘We did it ourselves!'” - Tao Te Ching